How could UDL be applied to my context?
- Educational level: High School
- Age and other demographic info: Grade 11- 35% EAL.
- Range of abilities: All abilities
- Subject area: Careers and Digital Communications 11
- Classroom (with web-based components), blended or online: Blended
- Class size: Varied. Typically between 16-31
- Description of any learning challenges present: Engage students in evaluating their skills, exploring interests and career options and creating personalized budget whilst simultaneously developing expertise in using a wide range of digital tools in real-life contexts.
To improve the UDL of this course I think I could make the following changes as suggested by Redford (2018):
- Provide different modes of instructions- for example create tutorial videos (with captions/transcripts) to allow students to re-watch instructions at their own pace
- Variety of assessment outcomes (offer suggested tools but provide access to Quick Links) to allow students to personalize their learning
- For self-reflection (a massive part of this course) students can present this orally or using text-to-speech apps
- Provide students with digital access to all resources so that they can format to their needs
Redford, K. (2018, January 24). When it comes to universal design for learning, don’t wait to be an expert. Education Week Teacher. https://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2018/01/24/when-it-comes-to-universal-design-for.html