Find and Integrate Video Resources
The lesson and videos can be found below the reflection.
The videos were chosen for different reasons. Primarily, I wanted to use the videos to chunk the lesson as students with a low level of prior knowledge learn more efficiently if segmented material was presented (Spanjers et al, 2011). Despite the fact that entertainment videos were effective at the start of the lesson to engage students , I wanted to focus on the reality of A.I to help students understand how this, not the Hollywood version, will affect what jobs look like in the future. To that end, all the videos chosen are educational.
Other choices include:
- A.I Assistant. Engages the verbal, visual and musical intelligence of students (Gardner, 2000).
- Minority Report- used to increase student’s engagement
- Photomath- used to increase student’s attention
- Humans need not apply- educational
- Do you trust this computer- used to increase student’s attention
The affordances of video (Hansch et al, 2015) are:
- telling stories
- motivating learners
- visual juxtaposition
- multimedia presentation
The Video Production Styles are:
- Recorded Seminar
- Live Video
Learning Objective: I can analyze evidence from different perspectives and explore a variety of sources.
Lesson Context: exploring the implications of A.I and automation in careers
The power of A.I. is currently doubling every ~3.5 months!
What do you wonder about this?…
Found at :https://youtu.be/D5VN56jQMWM
POWER OF AI (WATSON)
500 gigabytes (the equivalent of a million books per second)
“Feeding” data at exponential speeds
Accuracy greatly increasing
Especially when it comes to unstructured data
Providing information instantly and accurately (and in a granular way)…
CHANGING ROLE OF JOBS.
Watch the video and consider how technology is replacing tasks.
How are jobs affected?
With the increase in AI, what do you think the future will look like?
AI IN EDUCATION
What are the implications of these changes?
COMPLETING YOUR ASSIGNMENT
1. Complete all sections below. Put this on a sub-page called ‘Humans Need Not Apply’ (under The Workplace).
PART 1. WATCH THE VIDEO(S)
- Humans need not apply (15 mins)
2. Do You Trust This Computer? (Optional- 78 mins)
Q1. After watching the video, what stood out and why? Which jobs might be affected by some of the things you saw?
PART 2: WILL YOUR JOB BE DONE BY A MACHINE?
Visit the website and explore the different jobs and how likely they are to be replaced by robots and computers. Check out a variety of different careers and jobs.
Now answer Q2-5.
2. Screenshot 3 jobs that are likely to be replaced by machines and 3 jobs that aren’t.
3. Job Safety. Do you currently have a job? If not, where would you like to work? Could it be placed by a machine?
4. Your opinion. Do you agree that robots/AI will take over? How does this idea make me feel?
5. Think about a possible career choice. What % of automation would make you reconsider this career choice?