My initial thoughts trying to ‘explore’ this Tech Tool
- Downloading second life was easy enough but very slow.
- Due to restrictions on the school computers, students would not be able to do this themselves. That would mean having to put in a work order for Tech Support to install this on all school computers across the whole district which would be very time consuming.
- I am ‘not good’ at these sort of games and I found walking to different locations very time consuming. I just wanted to double click and be there already! I kept walking into walls and going in circles! If it’s not Mario, I can’t play video games! Thankfully my 9 year old helped me out. This could be a problem for students using this tech tool at home as a teacher would not be there to support them (although there would be tutorials or Screen Castify videos to support).
- The flying got on my nerves-I am not sure what the point was. Was it to speed it up?
- I like that there is a ‘chat feature’ on the screen. This could be a really useful tool if using with students to develop collaboration and communication.
- To be honest- I am totally out of my comfort zone and have no idea what I doing!
- So I ‘chatted’ with someone nearby. I get embarrassed with this kind of stuff because I don’t know is this person is real or a bot! Turns out they were real! Pretty cool that they don’t speak English but was using a translator to speak with me.
- I had to do a camera task and just couldn’t get the hang of it. Frustratingly, you had to have a mouse to complete this. This could be problematic for students using this resource at home as many have laptops and, like me, don’t use a mouse. Luckily, I had one from work so was able to plug it in and go.
- Then the server was rebooting so I got logged out.If this was a regular thing this could be disruptive.
- After logging back it wanted to install a new update- yet again more time wasted. I would worry about using this as a tool if this was a common occurrence.
- Education Portal: Gateway to Thinking.
- Although I could see many great opportunities, at the moment not many were linked to my current subject. I took a visit to The Globe Theatre and enjoyed the use of music and sound to contextualize the experience.
- I then had a go at trying to focus on a ‘career’ opportunity that Grade 11 students might enjoy but found this really difficult to find.
- I could definitely see how using something like this would potentially engage students and offer them an alternative tools to learn and develop skills. However, I think this is better suited at younger children. I am not convinced this is something I would use in my own teaching. This would work well as an enrichment or independent learning activity but not something that I would really use myself.